Norwegian Custard Buns
Prep Time: 30 min.
Bake Time: 20-25 min.
Sweet vanilla custard baked into a sweet dough and coated with coconut! This recipe comes from Norwegian Skolebrod.
12 Rhodes White Dinner Rolls, dough thawed to room temperature
1 cup sugar
For the Custard
1 1/4 cup whole milk
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp corn flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 egg yolks
For the Egg Wash
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
For the Icing
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp milk
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- Combine two rolls into a three inch circle. Press into a plate of sugar, coating the dough completely. Repeat with the remaining rolls and place them on a sprayed baking sheet. Cover with sprayed plastic wrap and let rise for at least 30 minutes.
- While the dough is rising: For the vanilla cream, place milk in a pan over medium-high heat. Whisk remaining ingredients together until smooth. As soon as milk bubbles, pour into yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Transfer mixture to pan and place over medium heat. Stir with a wooden spoon for 1-2 minutes until thickened.
- Make deep indentations in each bun. Combine 1 egg yolk and 1 1/2 Tbsp of sugar. Brush over each bun.
- Spoon vanilla cream into the center of each buns deep indentation.
- Bake at 350ºF for 20-25 minutes or until golden and risen. Cool slightly on wire racks.
- Combine powdered sugar and milk until smooth, this is your icing.
- Brush buns with icing glaze, then roll in coconut to serve.
can you make cherry/peach or apple tarts with dinner rolles?
Debbie from Rhodes
You can make anything that you would use bread dough for in a recipe. All our recipes can be found on our website: .comwww.rhodesbakenserve